“Giving Back to the Game”
The Golf Foundation of Missouri Facts
- Founded in 2004 The Golf Foundation of Missouri is a registered 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to reach young women and men, primarily in the city of St. Louis, and to teach them “Life’s many opportunities through the sport of golf.”
- Camps take place at The Highlands Golf Course in Forest Park for 6 weeks each summer.
- In 15 years, The GFoM has raised $1,000,000+, served 15,900 free lunches, offered camp to 2,000+ youth at no cost to the family, given 180+ sets of new clubs to deserving youth, 11 have gone on to play High School golf, 1 is playing college golf, and the amount of lives changed are Hundreds, and the smiles shared are a million and counting.
- In 2012, at the request of Mayor Slay’s Office, The GFoM doubled its effort from 2 days per week to 4 days in order to provide its Police Athletic League youth the opportunity to attend our camps. This was a major endorsement of The GFoM Mission Statement.
- The current Board of Directors is comprised of Jim Holtgrieve (US Walker Cup Captain), Larry Deskins (Lewis, Rice LLC), Alan Dombrowski (Hawthorn Physician Services), Andy Dawson (CIBC), Dick Shaiper (PGA of America, Emeritus), Claire Willman (Kindred Health Care), Adam Betz (Family Golf Center), Mike Dixon (Independent Healthcare Consultant), Anne Forkan (RGA) and Michael McLellan (RGA).
Golf Instruction is provided by PGA Club Professionals from the Gateway PGA Section. All children attend Life Skills classes with topics such as sportsmanship, healthy living, and building self-esteem. Recent Life Skill coaches have come from the faculty of Webster University
- Over 90% of camp participants are from inner St. Louis City; 70% African American and 40% female.
- 90% of all revenue received by The GFoM goes directly to our youth in the form of golf instruction, Life Skill Curriculum material, golf equipment, and meals.
- All camps are organized and operated by Executive Director, Andrew Belsky, Head Golf Coach at Webster University.
- Funding for our camp is primarily from private donations but also from The City of St. Louis, Enterprise Leasing Foundation, AAA Automobile Club of Missouri, UMB Bank, and St. Luke’s Hospital.